Wednesday, October 22, 2014
Simple (and pretty!) DIY Butterfly Halloween Costume
My daughter Lucy is completely obsessed with butterflies, they are her absolute favorite creature. So this year for Halloween, I decided to dress her like a butterfly, knowing full well I may never be able to remove the butterfly wings once she puts them on.
Below is my simple step by step guide for turning ordinary butterfly wings into something extraordinary.
- Materials: Wings (I bought these at Joann’s Fabric, but any wings will do). Acrylic paint in your favorite colors and a paint brush
- With a dark color (preferably black) outline the wings to create definition
- Squeeze a dime size amount of acrylic paint in vertical sections on each wing
- Spread the color horizontally (approximately 1in thick) throughout the wing
- Finally, add black (or a dark color of your choice) to highlight wing markings
- Let dry for 30 minutes and, voilà! Magical Butterfly Wings.
Happy Halloween! We hope your holiday is filled with darling moments.